What is beauty? Well , that depends on what you define as beautiful?
In my very humble opinion, I think true beauty translates into acceptance of one self… Why do I say this? When one truly accepts oneself, it transcends into confidence that brings light to inner beauty. When one lives in insecurity , it breeds toxic thoughts and toxic environments.
Acknowledging and honouring the above, we are all still human (women at the end of the day) and we all enjoy good and affordable beauty secrets! So for some of you who do not know anything about me (besides being an ordinary girl wanting the very best for you) , I actually use to be in the beauty and fashion industry many moons ago! It all started with being crowned as Miss South Africa Teen 2000! Along the way , I truly learned that the most expensive beauty products are not necessary the ones that work! Below are the things I truly believe contributes to achieving and maintaining the best (physical) appearance.
1) Hydrate always. No matter what. This is essential for maintaining good and functioning organs. Source
2) Moderate exercise. Do not under do or over do it on the exercise. Studies have shown that the latter contributes hugely to ageing. Exercise should be fun. If you do not enjoy it, find an activity that you enjoy! The main thing here is to find something that you can carry on with. A sustainable exercise regime is key in order to carry on with it and making it a part of your life.
3) Sunscreen no matter what! (Including staying out of the sun) I actually wear my tinted sunscreen as my foundation. That includes the evenings when I go out. It gives such a glow to the skin and my dermatologist suggested that the tinted sunscreen gives even more protection than the normal one. Reapplication can be tricky especially when you have applied make up over the sunscreen. However, the tinted sunscreen from HelioCare (see photo attached) can be applied with a make-up brush over your make-up and it actually makes your face look refreshed since it adds that extra glow! Source
4) Living an authentic , happy and content life! Have you ever noticed after a stressful time in your life that you look at yourself in the mirror and feel that you are looking really old and haggard?! Well, it has happened to me and sometimes it still does! This is a great feedback system ! Reminding you that you are not living your truth! Being authentic, happy and living a fulfilled and meaningful life is probably the biggest anti ageing natural remedy that exists! So be kind to yourself and more importantly, live your truth!
5) Less make-up is more! (please take note of the word “LESS” , I do not mean “NO” make-up!) There is definitely a place and time to wear make up that can literally transform your face, which can actually transform your confidence too! However, on a daily basis, I truly believe that enhancing ones features with the bare minimum, whilst allowing your skin to breathe is key! Not only does it aid in anti-ageing, but embracing “less is more” can contribute to a sustainable beauty industry.
6) A healthy , balanced , nutritional and sustainable diet . This is so important. We often hear , “we are what we eat” , but the truth is , “we are what our bodies can absorb” . A healthy and functioning body is the ultimate goal , NOT a thin (or overweight) partially functioning body. This is a topic I will cover in a post on its own , since it deserves all the attention we can give it.
7) Low intake of Alcohol and stop smoking (completely) . I know this is easier said than done, even though I don’t smoke, nor do I consume alcohol. Studies have shown how these two affect you health negatively, including the ageing process, so please ladies, this is a no brainer. Source
I hope the above seven points geared towards ATTAINABLE beauty , are points that you can apply (if you don’t do so already) to your daily lives. They are simple , doable and extremely powerful should you be able to make these points a part of your life , for the rest of your life.